Why Are My Air Ducts So Noisy?
The air ducts in your home can be noisy for several different reasons. In some cases, it is normal, but there are a few instances where a noisy air duct system could be a sign of trouble.
Causes of Noisy Air Ducts
The causes of noisy air ducts in your home include:
- Air Pressure. When air pressure builds up in your ductwork, this can cause a rumbling sound. Since the metal will expand and contract, you may hear a popping or banging noise when the unit comes on. When the air flow slows down, the walls will go back into their regular shape. This is normal, but if it is a new sound, it never hurts to get the system checked out by an HVAC professional.
- Rodents. While you might not want to think about rodents, they can get into your ductwork. This is especially true if there is a hole or tear in the ductwork. You will need to get rid of rodents in the system immediately. They can do further damage to the ductwork, and are a major health risk.
- Closed Dampers. If you have closed dampers in the heating and cooling system, this can cause various noises. If you only have one closed damper, you should not hear much noise. If you have many dampers closed, you could be straining the HVAC system.
- Clogged Air Filter. Clogged air filters can cause issues with air movement, which can lead to noises. You should clean your air filter often, at least every three months.
- Ductwork Not Installed The Correct Way. Another issue that can cause noise, is that the duct in your home was not installed the correct way. This can increase static pressure, causing a wide variety of noises.
How to Prevent Noises
The best way to prevent air duct noises is to have an HVAC professional come out to check your system. Generally, HVAC companies offer one maintenance visit in the spring and one in the fall. A technician will inspect your system to ensure that you have no issues that may cause noise in the future. If you do hear strange noises, contact a heating and air conditioning company as soon as possible. Certain noise-causing issues, like failing ductwork can get worse over time. This can lead to higher utility bills, increased wear and tear on the system, and sudden failure.
Call Us Today
If you wonder why your system is being noisy, or you want to learn how to prevent air duct noises, call Romano Bros today. Our team of friendly HVAC professionals will come out to ensure that your system is running as it should.