- Apr 16,2020
Why Do I Need Regular Heating and Cooling Maintenance?
We might not give the heating and cooling system in our home much thought until it breaks down. It’s no fun when the furnace stops working during the coldest winter day or the air conditioner quits during a heatwave. It is important that we maintain our furnace and air conditioning throughout the year.
There are a number of things you can do to keep your heating and cooling system working efficiently all year. Some simple maintenance procedures you can do yourself include:
- Check and replace filters – It is important to check the filters and replace them as needed. This keeps your HVAC system running smoothly. It is a good idea to replace them every 30 to 90 days, especially if you have pets.
- Clear debris – If you have an AC unit outside, clear debris like twigs, dust, dirt, pollen, leaves, and other debris from the unit. Make sure to trim overgrown bushes at least 2 feet from the unit to ensure proper airflow.
- Clean Registers – Clean dust away from your registers. This keeps dust from circulating that can eventually clog filters and reduce airflow.
When to Call an HVAC Professional
Most heating and cooling system manufacturers require yearly preventative maintenance in order to maintain the warranty. It is best to call an HVAC company for a maintenance check in the fall for the heating and springtime for the air conditioning before they get too busy.
Here are some reasons you would need to call a heating and cooling company:
- Strange smells – If you smell something like hot metal or plastic burning, you need to call an HVAC professional right away.
- Weak air outflow – If you are getting warm or cool air, but the airflow is very weak, you need to call an HVAC repairman. This can indicate a clogged fan, a loose fan belt, a dead motor, or a stuck wheel.
- Excess moisture – Excess water is a product of an AC unit, but it is supposed to come out the back, usually through a specific drain. If water is coming from anywhere else, this indicates a problem. Condensation or moisture in the air ducts could also be a concern.
- Unusual Noises – Listen for any unusual noises like humming, rattling, hissing, clicking, or loud whistling sounds coming from the furnace or AC unit.
- High utility bills – If you are getting bills that are higher than normal or you expected, you should call an HVAC professional to check your system.
Regular maintenance of your heating and cooling system can prevent breakdowns at the worst time, and prevent expensive bills. If your unit is due for professional maintenance, call the HVAC experts at Romano Bros.